Essex auction house Sworders saw robust bidding at it recent online 20th-century design sale, which saw highlights including a Peter Collingwood linen and street wall hanging sell for an impressive £10,400.
The item had come to the auctioneers from a US private client whose mother had purchased it from the artist during a visit to the US in the 1980s. It was bought by the London interior trade.
Elsewhere in the sale, other star lots included:
- A copy of the classic Bob Marley and the Wailers’ album, Exodus, sign by Marley on the sleeve ‘Rasta Bob Marley, which made £5,000.
- An Art Deco walnut and bird’s-eye maple cocktail cabinet, probably by Epstein, which sold for £3,250
- A pair of Stilnovo model B 4917, adjustable wall lights from the 1950s, which made £2,600
- A Martin Brothers’ stoneware aquatic vase, decorated with bizarre fish swimming amongst weeds, which sold for £2,300
- A PK22 stool, designed by Poul Kjærholm for E Kold Christensen, which sold for £2,200